National Computing Education Accreditation Council (NCEAC) is a recognized accreditor of bachelor level computing degree programs in Pakistan. It ensures the quality of education which students receives in Higher Education Institutions in Pakistan. It provides world leadership in assuring quality and in stimulating innovation in applied sciences, computing, engineering and technology education.
In the emerging age of information and knowledge, it is imperative to ensure quality and purposefulness of our educational programs. Computing professions, although young, are undoubtedly playing pivotal role in the development of nations. The computing education in Pakistan being a recent phenomenon needs direction, guidance, and mechanisms to achieve quality standards. Accreditation processes are considered an effective instrument to achieve these goals. Accreditation protects and promotes the interest of all stake holders, namely parents, students, faculty, academic administrators, employers, and taxpayers. It serves to notify: Parents and prospective students that a program has met minimum standards; Faculty, deans and administrators of a program’s strengths and weaknesses and of ways to improve the program; Employers that graduates are prepared to begin professional practice; Taxpayers that their funds are spent well; and The public that graduates are aware of public health and safety considerations. Realizing the benefits and need of accreditation, the National Curriculum Revision Committee of Computer Science-2003, which met in December 2003 and March 2004 at Higher Education Commission in Islamabad, recommended establishment of National Computing Education Accreditation Council (NCEAC) for accreditation of degrees in Computing in Pakistan..
Higher Education Commission of Pakistan was constituted on 11th September, 2002 by the promulgation of Ordinance F. No. 2(1)/2002.Pub and the Higher Education Commission of Pakistan has been authorized in article 3 Sub-Section (e) to set up national or regional evaluation councils or authorize any existing council or similar body to carry out accreditation of Programs by giving them appropriate ratings.
There is an urgent need for the constitution of the National Computing Education Accreditation Council (NCEAC) for the smooth and the efficient working of the affairs of the Higher Education Commission of Pakistan regarding the accreditation of their bachelor level computing degree programs by giving them appropriate ratings, now therefore, the said council by the name of National Computing Education Accreditation Council (NCEAC) is established.
To ensure the quality of computing degree programs in Higher Education institutions in Pakistan and fostering the intellectual development of students interested in pursuing computing profession.
Accreditation protects and promotes the interest of all stake holders, namely parents, students, faculty, academic administrators, employers, and taxpayers. It serves to notify: Parents and prospective students that a program has met minimum standards; Faculty, deans and administrators of a program’s strengths and weaknesses and of ways to improve the program; Employers that graduates are prepared to begin professional practice; Taxpayers that their funds are spent well; and The public that graduates are aware of public health and safety considerations.
The bachelor level degree programs of the following disciplines of Computing falls under the preview of NCEAC:
- BS Artificial Intelligence (4 Years)
- BS Bioinformatics (4 Years)
- BS Computer Science (4 Years)
- BS Cyber Security (4 Years)
- BS Data Science (4 Years)
- BS Information Systems (4 Years)
- BS Information Technology (4 Years)
- BS Software Engineering (4 Years)
- To organize and carry out a comprehensive program of accreditation of computing programs leading to degrees
- The NCEAC shall propose policies, procedures, and criteria or may suggest changes or revisions of the same for Accreditation.
- The NCEAC shall administer the accreditation process based on the approved policies, procedures, and criteria.
- The NCEAC shall approve the list of evaluators to participate in the process of accreditation of academic programs.
- The NCEAC shall constitute Accreditation Inspection Council (AIC) for the evaluation of relevant academic programs for accreditation. AIC (to be constituted from the approved list of evaluators) shall make recommendations to NCEAC. The final decision of the accreditation or necessary action will be made by NCEAC
- Procedures and decisions on all appeals with respect to accreditation actions shall be the responsibility of the NCEAC.
- Accreditation decisions will be based exclusively on the suitable criteria, policies, and procedures as approved by NCEAC
- To publish a list of Ranking of Computing Qualifications/programs
- To promote intellectual development and understanding of subject areas that impact accreditation activities in the computing profession
- To prepare, print and publish criteria for the teaching of, and training in, Computing and its applications
- To collect, index and publish information on any or all aspects of computing, its teaching applications, its applications and uses to industry and to maintain or support any library, bureau, database or information system conducive to this end;
- To select program evaluators.
- To train and assess program evaluators.
- To assist academic institutions in planning their educational programs for accreditation.
- To identify to the public, prospective students, student counselors, parents, educational institutions, professional societies, potential employers, governmental agencies, and state licensing or certification boards of specific programs that meet minimum criteria for accreditation.
- To provide guidance for the improvement of the existing educational programs and development of future programs leading to the computing profession.
- To stimulate the improvement of computing education in Pakistan
- To develop Accreditation Policies and Processes
- To develop Guidelines and Procedures for Program Evaluators
- To develop Guidelines and Procedures for Programs and Institutions
- To develop Guidelines for Selection of Evaluators
- To identify and develop Guidelines for Ensuring “No Conflict of Interest”
- To develop Program Evaluator’s Training Manual Self Study Questionnaire
- To develop Forms and Templates
- Collect information and statistics on accreditation of higher education of Computing and its respective Institutions as it may deem fit and may cause it published